By 2030, approximately 98 million Indians might have type 2 diabetes, according to a study published in the Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology journal. The rise in people with diabetes in not limited to India. It is a global phenomenon, as the worldwide demand for insulin required to treat this condition is expected to increase by 20% by 2030.In type 2 diabetes, the pancreas fails to produce sufficient insulin, which is a hormone required by the body to process sugar (glucose) that it receives from carbohydrates in the food consumed. Insulin helps to regulate sugar content in the body, preventing sugar levels from getting too low (hypoglycemia) or too high (hyperglycemia).
Since the prevalence of this ailment is high, it is a good idea to understand the type 2 diabetes causes and symptoms, so that you can get timely diabetes treatment.
Symptoms of Type 2 Diabetes
Paying close attention to the following symptoms of type 2 diabetes can ensure early detection and treatment of this disease.
- Blurred Eyesight: The tiny blood vessels in the eyes are affected by high sugar levels. The liquid present in the lenses starts leaking due tohigh glucose content which causes temporary loss of vision. This is called Diabetic Retinopathy.
- Increased Thirst and Hunger: Due to excessive glucose accumulation in the blood, the kidneys try to remove the sugar via urination. Frequent urination results in water loss, leaving you dehydrated and thirsty. If you have diabetes, chances are that you will constantly feel hungry. This is because glucose, which is the body’s fuel, cannot move to the bloodstream and produce energy.
- Weight Loss: Due to low insulin production, the body starts burning fat to get the required energy to function. This results in sudden weight loss, without any changes to your diet or lifestyle.
- Infections: Yeast thrives on sugar and causes infections in the genitals, mouth and other warm areas. It also takes longer than usual to get cured due to poor blood circulation.
Dark patches, foot pain and numbness in hands and legs are symptoms of advanced type 2 diabetes.
Causes of Type 2 Diabetes
Your family’s medical history will tell you whether you are prone to this disease. Here are the major causes of type 2 diabetes.
- If you have high blood pressure, obesity, high blood sugar and high cholesterol, yourchances of getting diabetes is higher.
- Your body’s DNA plays a major role in affecting the way in which insulin in produced, thus impacting the chances of diabetes.
- One of the most prominent causes of type 2 diabetes is extra glucose released from the liver and this glucose not being stored after the rise in sugar levels.
- The incidence of diabetes also increases with lack of exercise and an unhealthy diet.
- Elder people are more prone to this disease, due to inactivity, weight gain and reduced muscles thickness.
Although this disease has no cure, it is possible to reverse diabetes. Check your blood sugar levels, ensure to maintain physical activity and take your medicines on time. This will help manage the condition well.